Saturday, August 27, 2011

Favorite Gadgets



I'm a gadget type of gal. If it plugs in and lights up, I want it. If it stores or uploads, I need it. If it plays music or video, I already have it. So, here are my favorite gadgets that I have acquired in 2011:


1) Magic Wand portable scanner
 I should have bought stock in this company. Since finding it while checking out from Office Depot and buying it on a whim (half thinking it was too good to be true), I have convinced several of my friends and family to buy one as well. It's a PORTABLE SCANNER, people! Push the button, roll over whatever you want to scan, and it's saved as a jpeg to a memory card. The resolution is great, possibly even better than my HP desktop scanner. This will scan any flat surface. I've even used it to scan the arm of a student who decided that drawing a "tattoo" on his arm was a better use of his time than Algebra. Use it to scan walls, floors, tables, blankets, binders, whatever you want! And the best part? It only cost $99.

2) iPad
What can I say? It's a larger version of my iPhone, to which I already have a severe addiction. My love affair with this device began when I learned I could access my district grade book on it and enter scores. As a teacher, this is a miracle! I can now walk around the room and enter grades on the fly that will immediately be applied to students' permanent grades. No more manual recording and then entering them on the computer at home. This is going increase my productivity by 1,000,000%. I said "I Do" to the iPad when I learned how to use it with Apple TV. The latest version of iOS enables a feature called AirPlay. AirPlay allows you to stream music and video from any iOS device to the nearest AppleTV completely wire free. For me, this means that my favorite DVDs won't become scratched and worn from use because I can play them digitally from my iPad; "Dawn of the Dead" and "Rocky Horror" can rest safely in their cases, now. 
Cost: $599 {but mine was a hand-me-down from hubby}

3) Apple TV
AirPlay is what turned me on to AppleTV, and I would have been happy if that was all AppleTV did. However, AppleTV does more than just play the audio and video files from my iPad and iPhone wirelessly. AppleTV also connects wireless to the iTunes library on the computer of your choice. Just connect with the Apple ID of your chosen library (connect wirelessly on your wifi network) and all your music, movies, and TV shows are now on your TV. No more hunching over my laptop to watch my shows! Furthermore, AppleTV also offers all of the video amenities of the iTunes store; you can both rent and buy movies that are available through iTunes. AppleTV also lets you connect to YouTube and view videos on your full sized TV. 
Cost: $99

4) Mac Mini
After a month of enjoying the bliss of AppleTV, my husband and I began to get greedy. Why must my laptop be on and dedicated to iTuned whenever I use AppleTV? What if the movie I want to watch is on hubby's computer and not mine? What if I want to do other activities on my laptop WHILE I'm watching AppleTV? Well, the solution to this seemed obvious: get a third Mac that will always be on and will be dedicated to storing all of our movies and TV shows. Unfortunately, we didn't have the kind of finances to purchase a shiny new iMac. So, we opted for the next best thing: a Mac Mini. A Mac Mini is just the hard drive of a Mac (Think a Mac, minus the screen). A Mac Mini is significantly less that a new iMac and all you need is a screen to plug it into. So, we bought a Mac Mini and plugged it into our TV upstairs (a lovely 42 inch Vizio). This effectively turned our bedroom TV into a giant Mac, and it is GLORIOUS. Not only does this supplement our AppleTV needs, but this also gives us internet access in our bedroom without having to cart a laptop up and downstairs.
Cost: $599

5) Heated eye-lash curler
My eyelashes are Japanese, e.g., they point down. So even though they aren't thin, per se, they aren't very visible because they aren't being contrasted with my eyelids. Traditional eyelash curlers pinch and have to be used before the application of mascara (lest your eyelashes stick to the mechanism and rip off). This heated eyelash curler by Japonesque uses a small heated coil to put your eyelashes in place. It's used after the application of mascara and works especially well with water proof mascaras. Water proof mascaras dry more quickly and contain wax. Reheating this formula during curling results in a more dynamic and stable curl that lasts longer. It also takes up a whole lot LESS space in storage! Runs on one AAA battery.
Cost: $19.99

6) MoTevo In-Dash Navigation/Entertainment System
I didn't blog or FaceBook about it, but I got a new car last April from my extremely generous Grandparents, who decided that they didn't need two cars anymore {which made me a little sad}. So, for my birthday, hubby had this system installed for me. I love it. I have my GPS always ready to go when I get lost and I don't have to fiddle with charging it and turning it on. There is an iPod connector, but I can also play my phone wirelessly through the stereo vis Bluetooth. It also has a Bluetooth phone connection for calls. If this thing could talk to me and give me advice, I would have to rename my car KITT.
Cost: $600


7) Soda Stream Soda Machine
I could tell you about how "green" I'm being by making my own soda, in reusable bottles, and about how much more economical it is to make generic soda instead of buying name brands...but in all honesty, I just think this thing is way cool. It's basically a big CO2 gun that shoots CO2 into water. I'll tell you one thing it's really good for: cravings. Sometimes I get these cravings for orange or grape soda, but I don't want to commit to a whole liter or a six pack. With the soda stream, I can make a bottle of whatever I'm craving and not feel guilty if I pour half of it down the drain because I've still got  a ton of syrup left. Not to mention the potential to experiment with new flavors and mixes. Caramel Soda anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)