Saturday, August 27, 2011

No Ifs, No Buts, Nothin' but the Coconut!

I have to thank my dear friend Adrienne for her post on coconut oil. Since reading it, I have become absolutely obsessed with it! Adrienne has lots of great uses for coconut oil (which I won't bother repeating here; you'll have to read her post!), many of which I have adopted. Here are the purposes I have for the sweet smelling miracle oil!

1) Deep Conditioner for Hair: My hair feels amazing after soaking it in coconut oil for an hour or two! I use the same method as Adrienne, but instead of wrapping it in a towel, I wrap it in in plastic wrap. It feels kind of weird, but it creates this great sauna effect. I also apply the oil to dry hair so I absorb the maximum amount of oil into the hair.

2) Skin Moisturizer/Rash Cure: I used to use baby oil with aloe vera as an oil moisturizer and was moderately satisfied. Since learning about coconut oil, I have switched and become VERY satisfied! The coconut oil is much lighter and absorbs into my skin more quickly. This gives me a soft, non-greasy feel in a short amount of time (plus, I smell yummy!). Additionally, the coconut oil helps heal razor burn and rashes. I'm a person that likes to scratch and pick at scabs, ergo I often create breaks in my skin from scratching too much or too hard. This scratching is mostly an unconscious habit, and I often discover these ugly patches of tiny scabs when I wake up in the morning. Slapping a thin layer of coconut oil on these spots will help heal them in one to two days while eliminating redness and irritation.

3) Leave-In Treatment/Protectant: I use a coconut anti-breakage serum already, but when my ends seem especially dry, I like smooth in about a drop of coconut oil. This also helps protect my hair when I use heat tools and leaves my hair shiny and non-frizzy.


What I love most about coconut oil is that it's a food. If I get it in my mouth, it's not going to kill me. In fact, it's actually good for me! It's comforting to know that if I don't want to rub excess oil from my hands into my skin, I can just lick it off (okay, I know that's a little gross...but it's true!). And how great is it that I can use this stuff on both my hair and skin? Not having to wash product off of my hands is one step that I will NOT be missing! And you can't beat the smell; it's fresh and light and relaxing.

As comprehensive as Adrienne's post is, there are some minor adjustments I would like to make:
Where to Get It: I got my initial tub of coconut oil at Vitamin World for $12 (It was an impulse buy because I was at the mall). However, I later found a large jar of coconut oil at Fresh and Easy for $6.99 (yay!). Tubs can also be found at Sprouts, as mentioned in Adrienne's post. I was unable to find any at my Wal-Mart, here in California.

How to Store It: Coconut oil seems to commonly come in either large tubs or jars. This is a great plus since an equivalent size of hair or skin product would be much more costly. However, storage in a jar can become problematic if the oil liquifies. To remedy this, I transferred the liquid coconut oil into a spouted bottle. Now, i can regulate the amount of oil I use while it's in liquid form but still squeeze it out when it solidifies. Storing in in a clear bottle also provides me with a unique temperature gage for my bathroom (which has a temperature of about 78 to 80 degrees lately).

Again, Thank You Adrienne for introducing me to the wonderful world of coconut oil. My hair and skin are eternally grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)