Thursday, August 11, 2011

Out With The New and In With The Blue!

I kind of suck at blogging about my crafts. I get and idea and it turns into an itch and I have to finish the idea right then and there. Halfway through, when I'm thinking to myself how great this will look on the blog, I realize that I didn't take any pictures of the the "before" state of my project. :( ::sadness::
       Such sadness occurred today when I got home and half way through this brilliant idea that hit me while I was browsing the jewelery (costume jewelery) section of Target today. I found this lovely brass and "diamond" necklace on sale for $5. I liked the sparkly pendant, but the whiteness of it was just so blah. Lightening struck and the disappointment lifted as it occurred to me that I could simply PAINT the plain white crystals!
And that's what I did. I agonized over WHICH color to paint them (green, blue, multicolored...) and then finally settled on a deep metallic blue.

I've done this before, you see. When I was in middle school, I had a set of those cheap plastic gems from Disneyland. I used them for various crafts and eventually ended up with only boring clear ones...but I wanted a BLUE one!...for a trivial and meaningless project. I grabbed my nearest bottle of blue nail polish and slapped a coat on my little plastic jewel. It was shiny and blue and looked perfect! This moment stayed with me all these years and came racing to the front of my brain while standing in Target. You see, nail polish is ideal for jewelery painting because it often comes in metallic or translucent colors.
     If you're going to try this at home (which I highly recommend you do!), you obviously shouldn't use matte color nail polishes (unless that's the look you're going for). The best part about all of this? Once you get tired of the color, simply wipe down your jewelery with some acetone and slap on a new color!
Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)