Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Mirror Lied to Me...AGAIN!

          I can't believe I wore this to a party. And it was a party that I wanted to look nice at because the gal is such a sweet and fun friend of mine. When I walked out the door that morning, I felt I looked at least 50% better than these pictures would lead you to believe. :(
          One of my favorite shows is TLC's "What Not to Wear." I would gladly dress like a slob for several weeks if it meant that I got to get a style make-over and a $5K shopping trip in New York City. But, I have a feeling that the producers have some sort of style fraud prevention program in place. My favorite part of the show is the 360 degree mirror. While most people hate and fear it, I feel like I need one. Specifically to prevent outfits like the one above.
          You see, I put on this dress and shirt because they are extremely comfortable, cute on their own, and contain some similar colors. It was too cold to wear the sleeveless dress on it's own, so I threw on the shirt too. I SWEAR to you I did not look this bad in the mirror! The comfort factor must have warped my brain for the day. It wasn't until a week later when I saw pictures of myself that I realized how bad I looked. It's hard to explain how I felt, because I didn't feel embarrassed. As much as I don't like the way that I look, I know that this is not an embarrassing outfit. Perhaps, disappointed is a better word? This is certainly not the look that I wanted to portray at my friend's baby shower.
          So let's pick this bad boy apart! The first thing that I noticed in this picture that I absolutely hate it my sunglasses. Alone, or worn properly, they are cute {I've seen them in other pics}. On my head, as a make-shift headband, they scream "DUMPY!" I think it has something to do with my limp and thin hair. Shoving my glasses on top of my head gives it the oddest shape I have ever seen. And while we're at the top of the picture, I should remind myself that I should at least attempt a little something with my hair when I go out. Over the summer I was on this kick that I would not use any heat on my hair whatsover. That's fine, but letting it dry into crooked little have kinks isn't good either.
          I think that this outfit would have been a little better if I had just belted over the shirt and dress to give the outfit more dimension. As is, it looks like I just threw a plaid shirt over a plain dress and I didn't put any thought into what I was wearing. The truth is that I spent a lot of time adjusting and picking out shoes and doing my make-up. But you can't tell that any of that happened by looking at this picture.
          The good news is that blogging has made me more conscious of my outfits from different angles. Instead of only looking at myself from the front and back, I consider what an outfit will look like on a diagonal or if I am scruched up in a ball or hunched over a table. Taking pictures has helped a lot with that.
          So what about you? Do you ever have days where you put something on that feels great and you feel that you also look great, but later discover that you didn't look so great? I'd love to hear your stories and/or see your pictures and know that I'm not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)