Sunday, January 6, 2013

30 Day Challenge: No Make Up

       It's been a ridiculously long time since I posted anything to this blog; I miss it. Last year was crazy, intense, wonderful, and stressful all at once.
       I began teaching in a rather unusual position (well, unusual for the schools and district I have been working in for the past five years). I teach computer technology for three periods, robotics for one period, and introduction to engineering for one period. I love it because I love the subject matter: it's fun, challenging, and very relevant. Not all of my colleagues or friends agree with the last sentiment, though. As a result, there are a handful of people in my life that turn up their noses at what I do and call it "easy" or "fun" (implying that I am not really teaching). The attitudes of these people have brought me down considerably and my initial response was to do bigger and better things with my classes.
       This ended up backfiring on me in several ways:
  1. I am exhausted!
  2. That handful of people don't really care what I'm doing and have obviously not changed their minds or attitudes to me (I now realize that they never will).
  3. I uncovered another group of people who now resent me and all the ridiculous hard work I'm doing.
  4. I am EXHAUSTED! (Yes, this counts as a separate issue. See the caps?)
So now the question is: What do I do about this? How do I gain my sanity back? Why do I beat myself up like this? Who do I trust and lean on for support?

That last question was recently answered for my during the most miserable break I have ever had. Who do I trust and lean on for support? My family. My immediate family: My Husband (with a capital H).

I tried really hard to forget all of my problems over the winter break. What I ended up doing was ignoring them. This would result in all of my tension boiling over (usually at extremely awkward moments) and me curling up in a quivering ball of tears and snot. Husband was there for all of this (he is my hero for putting up with it) and what he told me has really helped to put things in perspective. He asked me what was most important in my life: Family. And that was it. Everything else can wait until another day. Our family is the most important thing and right now it's broken because I'm broken.

So I'm taking some time for myself and reorganizing the view I have of my world. I'm still going to work, because it is necessary. I can't abandon my students and coworkers and I can't throw away fifty percent of our income. To help me with this new view I present to you:

The 30 Day No Make-Up Challenge

       As much as it sounds like it, this is not a cop-out for me to be lazy and continue my moping. I spend a gross amount of my morning applying make-up. Since I'm already not a morning person, it is likely that cutting out make-up application will improve my morning prep time by at least 30%. Secondly, my skin is in terrible shape from this stress and from all that make-up caking up on my face and settling in to my pores. I was often so exhausted from work that I wouldn't bother to wash it off and then I would spend the next morning trying to salvage and repair what was left to avoid washing my face. Additionally, this will give me some time to reflect on myself as me and not just the teacher me.

The Rules:
  • No make up! No foundation, powder, eye-liner, mascara...nothing.
  • Wash your face twice a day: once in the morning and once before bed.
  • Moisturize and use sunscreen, NO tinted moisturizers!
  • Exceptions:
    • There is a fancy event or date that must be attended.
      • I don't foresee any of these coming up for myself, but should you care to join me these are what I consider fancy events or dates:
        • Wedding (you are at the bride's whim for this!)
        • Black tie formal event
        • Surprise dinner reservations from Husband for the fanciest restaurant in town.
I don't expect anyone to go along with me on this, but if you want to I would love to hear about your experience! Feel free to comment and post a link to your own blog!

Remember, this is about reflecting on self and not work (ok, that's more of a reminder for myself). I'm hoping that this experience will not only put me back  in a happier place but also give me a healthier complexion. I'm also hoping that this experience will give a chance to get to know my skin again. We haven't really been in regular contact since high school so I don't really know what my skin type is anymore.

So, here it goes! 30 days of no make up...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)