Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Book Worm-ish

I love books. I've always had a large home library. I mostly like quirky, genre books. My mom is a HUGE sci-fi nut. It must be genetic since my brother and I also are. Little sis isn't, that's how I know it's not genetic. Back to books: I love books so much, in fact, that I married a man who works with books professionally. That's why we're up here at UC Davis, to buy back text books from students. Hubby is the buy back king and I am his groupie. I blushed when he told me how well I did on my first buying yesterday. He's such a sweetie; I'm so glad that I get to work with him this week. <3
So anyway...
While working today, my new friend Karl gave me an absolutely darling gift! You see, yesterday we had this fantastic conversation about books, vampires, movies, monsters, and science fiction. It's always great to find a kindred spirit where you are least expecting it. Karl found me this adorable little book. It reads just like the old "Dick and Jane" books, but has a vampire thrown into the mix (think: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter). 
Stamp this one: ADORABLY DARLING.

And since we are on the topic of books, let me show you what else I am reading in the world print:
 Yes, that is a math book you see! While preparing for my CSET I came across this book in my local Barnes & Noble's. I knew about and had read Danica's other two books and I thought that they were great. I did not know about this one (her newest) and immediately scooped it up, despite the fact that it was still in hard cover and I was probably going to pay twice as much for it as I needed to. However, I love this book and it has given me a whole new love for Algebra. If you hate Algebra, give this book a try and see if you two can't become friends.

I'm reading this book for the third time. Not because I love it (even though I do love it), but because I still don't feel like I know the whole story. It's a very deep book...VERY. Check out some of the chapters. How, exactly, am I supposed to follow a story when the text is in boxes, typed backwards, and has more footnotes than....well I don't know what; I've never seen so many footnotes! But it's a horror story and I enjoy the creepy feeling I get from it.

Oh, and here's what I wore today. The bathroom has the best light in our hotel room. I can't take pictures outside because Marty and I leave too early in the morning and get back too late to use any natural lighting! Oh well. Mirror shots will do for now. Serves me right for starting a blog the night before a week-long business trip.
Sweater: Kohl's, Shirt: Banana Republic, Pants: vintage from my mom, brand "This is Yours", Shoes: really cute black velvet pumps that you can't see, necklace: Harry Potter time turner from the Noble Collection. I'm such a dork.
I've been playing around with lighting effects and layers in photoshop. This one has been lightened and tinted. Does it look better like this or should I leave my pics alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)