Thursday, December 16, 2010

School Marm-ish



I went to work today! Bringin' in that money, honey! And when I go to work, I like to dress like I'm going to work. Collared shirts, you're movin' up! I think it's important for teachers to dress "professionally," and by that I mean we should look as good as any cubicle worker does, if not better. After all, we are molding the minds of the future. Shouldn't they also be learning that a teacher is a professional and worthy of a white collar? However, I also get that being a teacher also may entail crawling around on the ground, tying shoe laces, running through fields (no, not nearly as romantic as it sounds), and wiping snot. In which case, you probably don't want to be wearing Armani...or even Gap, for that matter. But, still; maybe kids wouldn't be so abusive if we looked more like their bosses and less like their moms.

Speaking of moms...no, I'm not pregnant. You'd be surprised how many people think I am whenever I say I've got news (I know I am). I subbed for a first grade class today. They're a repeat, which is always easier, and I'm SO glad that none of them called me "Mommy" today. It was cute the very first time it happened (when I was doing volunteer work during college). It has progressively become more creepy each time it happens. I had a sixth grader do it once. That was just plain WRONG. A twelve year that is your equal in height should NEVER EVER mistake you for "mommy." EVER. They were cute, but it's exhausting to have to show them how to do everything. The worst, though, is the tattling. "Oooh! I'm telling!" is enough to make me cringe and shudder in disgust. I need a some sort of threatening or witty sign to detour kids from tattling. Where/when do they develop this annoying habit? I mean, these are little kids that are TRYING to cause another little pain by getting them in trouble. Seriously? How do they come up with the idea that it's ok to do that? I think Hobbes was right: people have to learn and try to be decent.

Also today, at the same school, no less, I was privy to a brief conversation being held behind my back about my outfit. It wasn't anything bad, actually these two other teachers were remarking how cute I looked. I accepted the unintended compliment with a grain of salt, though, as I next heard a teacher say. "but I would NEVER wear that to work! I mean, it's ridiculous!" I'm a smart girl; I know she wasn't saying that I looked ridiculous. She was pointing out the fact that she knew I was working in a first grade classroom. Would any of you be surprised if I told you that this other teacher wears 80's-style-mom-jeans, white Reeboks, and a shirt that looks like it cam from the bottom of Wal-Mart's Bargain Bin, on a regular basis? With no make up? Nothing done to her hair, other than color the gray? I didn't think so. I know Adrienne already had this woman pictured as soon as she started reading this paragraph. ::sigh:: All I can do is ignore it and hope more people think like I do in the future by leading by example.

 Oh! And now that we FINALLY have TV again, I've rediscovered all of my favorite after-work programming! Here's a short list:
- The People's Court {I looooooooove it! Judge Milian is my hero!}
- Property Virgins
- Ancient Aliens {This show is DA BOMB!{I can't believe I just typed that!!} Watch it if you care anything for aliens, ancient culture, or religion.}
- I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant {You'll never forget your birth control again!}
- What Not To Wear {Show me some style love, Stacey and Clinton!}

New Learnings
* I'll get back to you on that one. I can't recall any new lessons I've learned recently. My brain is fried and I have an itch to make some corn pudding.

2 comments:

  1. Laughed out LOUD at this one. Especially since I've already imagined the outfit. I think you look fabulous, dah-ling. Just fabulous. All week this week we were told we could wear jeans if we wore them with a "Holiday shirt." Whatever that means. Well, I don't think it's fair that I'm punished by not being allowed to wear jeans because I don't own something with jingle bells sewn into it, so I rebelled and wore jeans with cute boots and red,nice tops all week. So there.

    I agree, we should look nice, but I always feel in the minority when I dress nice for work. I'm glad I'm not the only one. On another note, Sydney's post today had me thinking about my personal style...hmmm, what IS it exactly? So I was wondering if you feel confused about that too....I know what I'm drawn too, and what I'm definitely not into, but other than that...it's like a big freefall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man...Holiday shirts? How many puffy-painted sweatshirts over turtlenecks did you see this week? Did anyone bust out one of those shirt clip things because they've had the SAME "Holiday" shirt since 1990? Or a puffy-painted vest? Yuck! It was all cute when I was in 3rd grade. Now, it's just lazy. Unfortunately, I know my style, but I've been questioning it these past few years. My style = Rainbow Puke. No Joke. I still have a pair of orange pleather pants. I desperately miss my pink and silver ones. I'm trying to find a nice balance between Rainbow Puke and ... Anne Taylor Loft, maybe?

    ReplyDelete

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)