Saturday, December 4, 2010

Well, Hello There!

Ok, so this is my first blog post. I’m already nervous and I haven’t even written anything of note yet.
I’m Reggie. Well, it’s Regina, but don’t call me that unless that’s what you have written down on some official piece of paper in front of you. I’m a teacher. I was a middle school teacher for two years and I *loved* it. Thanks to the California state budget crisis and poor financial management on somebody’s part, I got a slip in a lovely shade of pink. Now, I’m a substitute teacher. I’ll tell you how that’s going later.
I like to write. I have notebooks, upon notebooks filled with ramblings and writings of all kinds. Sometimes I let other people see these notebooks and they tell me that they like what I have written. So, in an effort to save trees and be more extroverted, why not just put my notebooks online? Well, at least start a new one and put it online.
So, the name. I *hate* naming things. Dogs, cats, essays, stories, you name and I can’t. I’m really not a poetic person and I’m not very good with creating metaphors. I like things to be straight forward and to the point (that’s why I like math so much, but I’ll get to that later). I sat here at my computer for over three hours with that little screen that asks for your blog’s name and what you want the address to be. I stared at the screen for a while and thought about what I wanted my blog to be. It doesn’t really have a purpose other than for me to vent out my thoughts. So, naturally, I thought, “Hey, I’ll call it ‘Vent’ and it’ll be cute and trendy!” But, alas, it is not cute or trendy. It just sounded like I was trying to be cute and trendy. For over three hours I combed through my favorite books, stared at myself in the mirror, read through my facebook postings, read through my email, and even looked through some of my old notebooks. I found NOTHING.
Then, in one of my newer notebooks (a purple one that was a gift from a lovely friend), I found the definition of serendipity. I wrote it down while I was watching the movie (John Cusack is the male equivalent of Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan, and Julia Roberts all wrapped up into one!). I really like that word; it makes me smile. Serendipity means “a fortuitous accident.” While thinking about how much I liked that word and its meaning, I also thought of what a disaster this blog thing was going to be. Why not put the two together? Maybe I’ll get lucky/unlucky and this blog thing *will* be a serendipitous disaster.

3 comments:

  1. Squeel! You started a blog! Yay... :)

    Have you decided on a definite "personality" for your blog? Because I'm struggling with figuring that out. I don't like being boxed in to it only being about one thing, but it should have some focus at the same time, so....hmmm.

    And I'm with you on the naming thing. A name just feels so...permanent. But I like Serendipitous Disaster. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. How did you do the polaroid shot with writing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled a polaroid frame image and used photoshop to stick my image in it. Then I used my writing tablet (used to use it in the classroom in lieu of a doc cam and paper) to write on it using black paint and a fine point brush. That tablet makes photoshopping a lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete

Spit it out already. Hit me with your best shot! ;)